Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Most Dangerous Areas for Assault in Georgetown


I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any parts of town in Georgetown that are more dangerous than others. I chose to look specifically at the number and location of assaults in the past year from January 1, 2012 til now.

The Georgetown PD website had a link to a website (http://myneighborhoodupdate.net/) that mapped out the locations for various types of police reports. I looked specifically at the "violent" category and took only the data for assaults. There were a total of 126 assaults. I had to do some manipulation in excel to make it ready for ArcMap, but once I did that, it was easy to geocode the addresses provided for the assaults.

After geocoding, I changed the symbology of the data to show graduated symbols based on the number of police car responders. In ranking the severity of the assaults, I assumed that the number of police cars at the scene correlated to the relative severity of the incident. There definitely appears to be some clustering of assaults, especially with more severe assault incidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment